It’s time to swing into spring and to get swinging. There are 5 easy crochet projects to make – one for each week. So, banish those winter blues and revive those rustic winter crochet hooks!
Spring is also the best time to start the chores of cleaning and tidying your yarn stash. It can be difficult though to restart those tired muscles after the long winter months in hibernation. Then it would be easier to start with a little each day, say give your crafting tools a good cleaning, especially crochet hooks. Soak the hooks in the warm soapy water, and then dry them properly before using will make it much easier to slide the yarn off the hook.
Week 1 – Stripy Egg Cosy
This stripy egg cosy is quick to make with easy to follow instructions. The cosies will brighten up your breakfast table on a dull morning. It will also be a perfect gift for Mother’s Day, which is on the 15 March 2015.
You will need:
A ball of each:
Patons 100% cotton DK (colour 2742) Fuschia (A)
Patons 100% cotton DK (colour 2734) Pink (B)
Patons 100% cotton DK (colour 2740) Yellow (C)
You can make many egg cosies with three balls of yarn; any unused yarns could be used for my next free patterns in the following weeks.
Crochet Hook: size 3.50mm (Metric)
Needle and thread
A pair of scissors
Adjustable magic ring
ch – chain
htr – half treble stitch
tr – treble stitch
st – stitch
ss – slip stitch
yrh – yarn round hook
*() – repeat instructions within
RS – right side
WS – wrong side
I have used cotton yarn for their durability. You can use other type of yarns, but the finish piece may be smaller or bigger.
Step 1: Egg cosy
With yarn A, make an adjustable ring.
Rnd 1: ch-3 (as 1tr), make 11tr into ring, ss into first st of ch-3 to join =12sts. Do not break yarn A.
Rnd 2: Pick up yarn B with hook, then ch-3 (as 1tr), 1tr into same place as ch-3, then work 2tr into each st around, ss into first st of ch-3 to join =24sts. Do not break yarn B.
Rnd 3: Pick up yarn C, then ch-3 (as 1tr), 1tr into same place as ch3, then *(1tr in next st, 2tr in next st), rep *() 10 times, then 1tr in last st, ss into first st of ch-3 to join =36sts. Do not break yarn C.
Rnd 4: Pick up yarn B, and ch-3 (as 1tr), 1tr in each of next 35sts around =36sts.
Rnd 5: Pick up yarn A, ch-3 (as 1tr), 1tr in each of next 35sts around =36sts.
Rnd 6: Pick up yarn C, ch-2 (as 1htr), 1htr in each of next 35sts around =36sts.
Rnd 1: Make a foundation chain of ch-22.
Rnd 2: 1htr into 2nd chain from hook, 2htr into each of next 2-ch, (1htr, ch-2, ss in next st).
Rnd 3: ch-3, 1tr into next st, 2tr in each of next 2sts, (1tr, ch-3, ss in next st).
Rnd 4: ch-3, 1tr into next st, 2tr in each of next 2sts, (1tr, ch-3, ss in next st).
Rnd 5: ch-3, 1tr into next st, 2tr in each of next 2sts, 1tr in next st, (1tr, ch-3, ss in last st).
Fasten off and leaving a long yarn tail (approx. 50cm/19.7in). Weave in shorter yarn end.
Step 3: Making up
- Fasten off and weave in all yarn ends of egg cosy. Thread tapestry needle with long yarn end from flower. Roll the flower, starting from beginning of round, roll until end to form a flower. Take tapestry needle and sew each layer together until intact. Fasten off and weave in yarn end.
- Thread sewing needle and bring both ends together to tie a secure knot. Take needle through WS of egg cosy and make a secure knot, take needle through to RS of cosy and insert into base of flower – pull thread to join onto top of cosy. Make regular stitches on both pieces until securely attached. Fasten off securely with several knots before cutting thread.
BACK TO BASICS WITH CROCHET – PART 3
How to make a double crochet stitch – dc
- Insert hook into the stitch or chain (under both loops). Yarn around hook, and draw yarn through both loops (2 loops on hook).
- Yarn around hook again, and draw yarn through both loops on the hook (1 loop remains on the hook). One dc made.
How to make a half-treble stitch – htr
- Begin by yrh, insert hook into st to be worked
- yrh again, and draw yarn through (creating 3 loops on hook)
- yrh again, and draw yarn through all 3 loops on the hook (at the same time)
- One loop remains on the hook, one-half treble made.
How to make a treble stitch – tr
- Yarn around hook and insert hook into the stitch or chain required (under both loops). Yarn around hook again, and draw one loop through the chain.
- 3 loops on hook, yarn around hook (yrh), and draw through 2 loops on hook (2 loops remains hook).
- Yrh, and draw through remaining 2 loops on the hook (1 loop remains on hook). One treble made.