Working in circular rounds, with simple increases and decreases in double crochet stitch, this crochet starflower pincushion is easy and fun to make. However, complete beginners might find the flower a bit tricky to crochet, but if you focus on the different stitches – the process is both enjoyable and rewarding. Whether you’re making it as a gift or for yourself, this pincushion will keep pins and needles beautifully tidy.
In a pale violet, the round cushion is topped with a layer of violet, pink and raspberry starflower. Also, the tones of lavender give the pincushion a sense of calm and coolness once crocheted.
You will need:
- UK CROCHET TERMS ARE IN USE (click here for conversion table)
- Skill level: Advanced beginner
- Hook 3.00mm
- Yarn: DMC Natura (100% cotton)
- Colours: Glycine-Lilac (yarn A)
- Small amount of: Rose (yarn B) Prune (yarn C)
- But you can use other colours or types of yarn, but the effect may look different
- Toy stuffing (approx. 13g)
- Tapestry needle
- Sewing needle
- Thread (in similar colour to cushion)
- 1 x stitch marker
- Finished size approx. (23.5 x 5.5cm/9.4 x 2.2 inches) in diameter
- ss – slip stitch
- ch – chain
- ch sp – chain space
- dc – double crochet
- dc inc – double crochet (increase)
- dc2tog – double crochet two together (decrease)
- tr – treble stitch
- dtr – double treble (how to make)
- Rnd – round
- WS – wrong side
- RS – right side
- yrh – yarn round hook
- beg – beginning
- st – stitch
- sts – stitches
- Adjustable ring
- Rep – Repeat
- *( ) repeat instructions within brackets
STEP 1: THE CUSHION
With yarn A, make an adjustable ring.
Rnd 1: With the starting chain from the adjustable ring, make ch-1, then work 1dc, 6 times into ring =6sts (Fig. 1)
BEGIN INCREASE: in double crochet stitch (dc inc)
Rnd 2: Work 2dc in each of next 6sts =12sts. Don’t join with ss, instead continue to Rnd 3 by working the first stitch (remember to use stitch marker to mark the first stitch after working it).
Rnd 3: Continue to work *(1dc in first st, then 2dc inc in next st), rep * ( ) 5 times more =18sts.
Rnd 4: Work *(1dc in each of next 2sts, then 2dc inc in next st), rep * ( ) 5 times more =24sts.
Rnd 5: Work 1dc in each of next 24sts =24sts.
Rnd 6: Work *(1dc in each of next 3sts, then 2dc inc in next st), rep *( ) 5 times more =30sts.
Rnd 7: Work *(1dc in each of next 4sts, then 2dc inc in next st), rep *( ) 5 times more =36sts.
Rnd 8: Work *(1dc in each of next 5sts, 2dc inc in next st), rep *( ) 5 times more =42sts.
Rnd 9: Work *(1dc in each of next 6sts, 2dc inc in next st), rep *( ) 5 times more =48sts.
Rnd 10: Work *(1dc in each of next 7sts, 2dc inc in next st), rep *( ) 5 times more =54sts.
Rnd 11: Work 1dc in each of next 54sts =54sts.
Rnds 12-21: Continue working in the round. Work 1dc in each of next 54sts around =54sts for each round.
BEGIN DECREASE: in double crochet stitch (dc2tog)
Rnd 22: Work *(dc2tog, then 1dc in each of next 7sts), rep *( ) 5 times more =48sts.
Rnd 23: Work *(dc2tog, then 1dc in each of next 6sts), rep *( ) 5 times more =42sts.
Rnd 24: Work *(dc2tog, then 1dc in each of next 5sts), rep *( ) 5 times more =36sts.
Rnd 25: Work *(dc2tog, then 1dc in each of next 4sts), rep *( ) 5 times more =30sts.
Rnd 26: Work *(dc2tog, then 1dc in each of next 3sts), rep *( ) 5 times more =24sts.
Tip: On the last few rounds – use your thumb to push the top edge of your work away. This will make it easier to insert the hook into the stitches.
Rnd 27: Last round! Work *(dc2tog, then 1dc in each of next 2sts), rep *( ) 5 times more =18sts. Fasten off, leaving a long yarn tail – about (30cm/12in) for sewing in later. Pulling (only) the shorter yarn end to tighten ring, and then weave in (Fig. 6 above). Turn work out with (RS) facing.
STEP 2 : ASSEMBLY – THE CUSHION
- Thread tapestry needle with long yarn end on edge of pincushion. Working anti-clockwise (Fig. 7 above) by slanting the needle from right to left – through and overlapping both loops on the edge (like over sewing). Continue in this way 18 times around – until you reach the start.
- Set needle aside, gently pull the yarn end to gather the stitches together, but leave a hole – about (4cm/1.5in) for the stuffing to go in.
- In small batches, insert stuffing into the cushion and spread evenly. Gently, pull yarn end to close ring (Fig. 8 above & 9 below).
- Thread tapestry needle, make several stitches across the hole by inserting the needle below the edge that sits around the hole. Repeat until hole is covered (Fig. 10 below). Make several secure knots below these stitches before cutting yarn tail.
- Shape the pincushion so that any bumps are even.
STEP 3: STARFLOWER
With yarn A, make an adjustable ring.
Rnd 1: With starting chain, make ch-1, then work 1dc, 11 times into ring. Pull shorter yarn end to reduce size of ring, join with ss into first st at beg of round (Fig. 1 below) =11sts.
Rnd 2: Make chain spaces (ch sp). Work *(1dc into first st, ch-3, miss one st on ring, then work 1dc into next st, one ch sp made), rep *( ) 4 times more. Join with ss into first dc at beg of round =5 ch sp made (Fig. 2 below).
Rnd 3: Making the petals. Continue with yarn A. Work *(1dc into first ch sp, then work 5tr and 1dc into same ch sp, one petal made). Rep *( ) 4 times more into each ch sp to make 4 more petals = 5 petals made (Fig. 6 below).
Rnd 4: Join in yarn colour (B) Fig. 5 above. Making chain spaces (ch sp), make *(ch-4, work 1dc into next st after first petal) from previous round – 1 ch sp made. Rep *( ) 3 times more to make 3 more ch sp. Ending with ch-4 and 1dc into first st at beg of round (this completes the last ch sp) = 5 ch sp made (Fig. 9 below).
Rnd 5: Making the petals. Continue with yarn B. Work *(1dc into first ch sp, then 7tr and 1dc into same ch sp). One petal made. Rep *( ) 3 times more into each of next 3 ch sp. Ending with (1dc, 7tr and 1dc in last ch sp), then join with ss into first st at beg of rnd = 5 petals made (Fig. 15 below).
Rnd 6: Join in yarn C (Fig. 16 above). Making chain spaces (ch sp), make ch-1, work 1dc into same place, then *(make ch-5, and work 1dc after the next petal) 1 ch sp made (Fig. 18 below). Rep *( ) 3 times more to make three more ch sp. Ending with ch-5, and ss into first st to join (this completes the last ch sp) =5 ch sp made.
Rnd 7: Making the petals. Continue with yarn C. Work *(1dc into first ch sp, then 3tr, 3dtr, 3tr and 1dc into same ch sp) 1 petal made (Fig. 21 below). Rep *( ) 3 times more into each of next 3 ch sp to make three petals more. Ending with (1dc, 3tr, 3dtr, 3tr, 1dc) into last ch sp, this completes the last petal. Join with ss into first dc at beg of round. One starflower made!
Fasten off, leaving about (13cm/5in) of yarn tail for weaving in later. Turn flower over to WS (Fig. 24 above), pull shorter yarn end on adjustable ring (from Rnd 1) to tighten, and then weave in. Next, weave in all yarn ends on flower securely before cutting yarn tail.
STEP 4: SEWING ON THE FLOWER
- Thread sewing needle, bring both ends together to tie a secure knot. Make a secure stitch on the (WS) wrong side of the flower (on the last set of petals). Place the flower on top of the cushion to cover the hole. Ensure that the flower is placed on the middle of the cushion for a neat finish. To keep the flower in place, use a large safety pin to secure it while sewing.
- Now, insert needle into cushion (below the last set of petals) so that the thread is hidden from view, take needle through to the RS of one of the petals (Fig. 3-4 above).
- Continue making regular stitches around the pincushion and on the last set of petals to secure both pieces of work. Make several secured knots before cutting thread.
Enjoy using your pretty pincushion.